Swap this banner out with yours! Click here to sponsor this installation site today!

Motor Vehicles

Fort Hamilton - Installation Overview

Registration & Licensing Requirements

New York State law requires you to have sufficient liability insurance and a valid driver's license in order to operate a vehicle. The term "vehicle" generally includes automobiles, motorcycles, vans, trailers and boats regularly parked or garaged overnight. Further, your vehicle must be properly registered. Even though you are in the Military, you may be required to register your vehicle in-state and obtain an in-state license within a few months of moving. Access complete information on insurance, driver's licensing, and where and how to register your vehicle by visiting the State Department of Motor Vehicles website.

State Laws

You and your passengers must always wear seatbelts while driving, you will be ticketed and issued heavy fines if seatbelts are not secured. State law requires that all children under 6 years of age be properly restrained in child seats. Some states also require younger, smaller children to sit in the back seat.

Motorcycles and their operators are subject to special laws. If you own and operate a motorcycle, you must comply with those laws. Visit the State Department of Motor Vehicles website for more information.

New York state has strict laws prohibiting the use of hand-held cellular telephones, and military regulations also prohibit their use on-post. Tickets will be issued and fines assessed for violating these laws. Play it safe and always use a hands free device if you must use a cell phone or other PDA while driving. Hands-free devices must be used while operating a motor vehicle on ALL military installations worldwide.

Registering Vehicles on Base

Vehicle Registration on Post is done at the Visitor Control Center (adjacent to the 101st Street gate). Telephone Number 718-630-4848.

Mandatory Registration

All active duty military personnel [including allied officers] and their families' members assigned to Fort Hamilton must register their vehicles on post. DOD/DA civilians employed by Fort Hamilton., local reserve and National Guard's members and contractors working on Ft Hamilton must register their vehicles driven on post.

Optional Registration

Retired military personnel and their family members, and surviving spouses and children of deceased military members who posses valid military identification [ID] cards may register their vehicles. Civilians issued a Da form 1602 may also receive decals.

Special Registration

Registration is also available in some cases for special categories of personal such as volunteer's and local contractors. This requires that a business center director /tenant activity commander [usually a COL or equivalent] permanently assigned to Fort Hamilton sign a memorandum requesting a temporary pass for such persons under his /hers supervision.

Registration Process

Vehicle Registration is accomplished by visiting the Visitor control center, completing required paperwork, including form DD 220, presenting all required documentation and receiving and updating a decal set or temporary pass. The individual applying for the decal or temporary pass must personally be present. This includes vehicles already having a decal.

To Register a vehicle you must have the following:

  • a valid state drivers license
  • proof of insurance
  • Proof of ownership
  • Proof of social security number [military ID card]

Decals and Temporary Passes

Decal Placement -- Decals when issued will be permanently affixed to the outside of the windshield at either the top center or the lower left [near the inspection sticker area]. They will be placed outside the area of the windshield wiper area and do not interfere with the vehicle id number. Motorcycles -- The decal will be affixed to the windshield [if so equipped] or to the left fork lengthwise or to a state approved inspection plate. Temporary Pass -- A temporary pass must be presented at all times while on post . It will be placed on the dashboard . Temporary passes are not transferable. The issuer is the only one able to use the temporary vehicle pass.

Day Passes -- Fort Hamilton issues Day Passes for all unaffiliated personnel who use MWR activities, visit family or friends or are guest of personnel. The Day Passes will be returned upon exiting the installation.

Decals must be turned in when eligibility ends [such as ETS, termination of employment, ect] when the vehicle is, disposed of [even if being sold another individual eligible to register], when they become unserviceable [such as faded due to rain/sun damaged].

Write the DOD decal # down on sheet of paper or vehicle clearing/turning in receipt form available at the Visitor control center or scrape off and just bring in residue to clear your decal.

Report any lost or stolen decals to the Visitor control center.


Supply Sergeant 468x180  

ONLY $3.00! Click Now!

US Army Bases

If you have questions concerning relocation to any particular area on this site, please click on one of the installation's advertisers to contact them. They are much more familiar with the area than we in the office. Be sure to tell them where you saw their ad!

    We have 13 guests online